After a medical abortion:
- Have bleeding and cramps, however, most people will not have any side effects from this medication.
- Experience nausea, chills, cramps, upset stomach, fever, and diarrhea.
- Have moderate to very severe cramps and increased bleeding 30 minutes to 4 hours after taking the 4 misoprostol pills. Cramps and bleeding will become more intense, usually until the pregnancy has passed.
- Have clots as large as lemons.
- Have very light bleeding or spotting for a few weeks afterward.
- Maybe very intense as the pregnancy passes.
- May reduce if you rest and apply a hot water bottle or heating pad.
- Take ibuprofen (Motrin® or Advil®) or naproxen (Aleve®). Do not take ASA (Aspirin®) for pain – it may increase bleeding.
Call the emergency number you were given at your appointment or proceed to the nearest emergency room if you:
- Soak 4 or more maxi pads in 2 hours.
- Pass very large blood clots (larger than the size of a lemon).
- Have a fever: 38.0° C or 100.4° F or higher for 4 hours in a row or develop a fever 24 hours after taking misoprostol.
- Have chills or shaking 24 hours after taking misoprostol.
- Have unusual vaginal discharge (green or yellow in color) or discharge that has a bad odor.
Call the emergency number you were given at your appointment or proceed to the nearest emergency room.
- Nausea, vomiting and breast tenderness lessen.
- Pregnancy symptoms (fatigue, bloating, and mood changes) lesson.
- Pregnancy hormones can stay in your body after a pregnancy has ended. It is possible to still have a positive pregnancy test within 6 weeks of an abortion.
Within 4-6 weeks
- You should have a normal period.
Important: You can get pregnant at any time after your medical abortion.